When working with links in Long Text fields, you have two tool options available:
- Linkit (link icon on the left)
- Advanced Link (link icon on the right)
You will generally rely on Linkit, using the Advanced Link tool for special uses only.
Click images to view larger.
To link to Internal content
- Click the linkit button and type the title of the page you wish to link
- A dropdown will appear with matching results. Notice that the options are divided into multiple sections, first under Centers and Groups content, then School Wide content.
These sections indicate what kind of content, so you find exactly what you are linking.
- Select the Content you need ensuring that the Title, Path, and section match what you're looking for.
In this case, we want to select the About page under the /demo/ group. Always pay close attention to the path, as some page names are common across the site, such as About, Contact, etc.
- The link will be inserted automatically, as seen below:
Don't worry about the URL looking odd, e.g., /node/999999. This is an internal path. Public users will NOT see this when clicking or sharing your content; instead, they will see the public URL, e.g., /demo/about.
To link to External content
- Simply paste the URL into the field
- Linkit will inform you that there are no results and allow you to use that URL as is.
If you need to use some of the link options, you need to use the link icon that is next to the anchor flag icon.
Special types of links
Use this tool for special link needs, the most common scenarios are creating e-mail and telephone links.
- Select the Link Type you need: E-Mail, Phone.
- Paste the E-Mail or Phone in the field indicated.
- Click Ok
Selecting the target
Use this tool if you need the link to open in a special way that is different from how it opens by default.
- Select the Target(only select New Window, Self, or not set)
- Click Ok